NEW THIS YEAR
Important Changes for WIRED 2020
- NO CHURCH DEPOSIT - Due to the number of churches that turned in their $250 Church Deposit but NOT turning in their $50 Per Person Individual Deposit over the past few years, WIRED Ministries has decided to drop the requirement for the $250 Church Deposit and only have the $50 Per Person Individual Deposit going forward. Administratively, the church deposit is no longer needed, and we hope this will allow churches to get us more accurate participation numbers earlier in the year so that we can more effectively plan.
- NEW TIERED COST SYSTEM – We are excited to announce that we will be able to keep the cost for WIRED 2020 at $249. This is the 4th straight year without a price increase! However, due to the number of churches that have tried to skip the entire $50 Per Person Individual Deposit process over the past several years, we have been forced to implement a tiered cost system. Under this system, all churches that register and pay their $50 Individual Participation Deposits by March 15th will be locked into the $249 per person rate. Any church that misses this deadline for registration AND/OR paying their $50 Individual Participation Deposit will be locked into the $299 per person rate. While we wish we had not been forced to make this change, we simply had to find a way to get a more accurate participation count earlier in the year.
- MINIMUM GRADE COMPLETED CHANGE – Over the past four years, WIRED Ministries has tried to accommodate the student ministries that incorporated 6th graders into their student ministry by allowing a student that has completed the 6th grade to attend WIRED week. Unfortunately, after years of trying to make this work, WIRED Ministries has concluded that 6th graders are not spiritually, mentally, physically, or emotionally ready to participate in a full week of WIRED. We regret any problems this decision may cause your student ministry, but we do feel that is the right decision for our ministry. Therefore, all students participating in WIRED 2020 must have completed the 7th grade to attend.
NO SPECIAL REQUEST FOR 2020 – The number of special requests for friends to be together has completely gotten out of hand the past several years. Last year, we had over 200 special requests for certain friends to be together and it added two days to the process for us to make ministry teams. Therefore, WIRED Ministries will NOT accept any special request solely based on friends wanting to be on the same ministry team at WIRED 2020. However, we will continue to allow special request for the following reasons:
- Special Needs – This could be due to an individual health or disability situation or if it is imperative that a certain adult be on the same ministry team.
- Site Specific Request – There are times when a specific ministry site or team has already contacted a student and/or an adult to serve on a specific ministry team. WIRED will ensure that this individual is place on that specific team.
- Friend Bringing A Visitor – If you have a student that isn’t a member of your church but is participating with your church, WIRED will allow you to request that they be together if you think it is vital for the visitors participation at WIRED 2020. Please know that you will receive a phone call from someone at WIRED to validate this request before it is granted.
- MANDATORY STUDENT LEADER MEETINGS – For over a decade we have tried to facilitate student leader luncheons/suppers to go over all that we have planned for WIRED week and we typically have about 70% of the churches attend. However, there always seems to consistent issues with the 30% that don’t attend, and they never really get up to speed before or during WIRED week. Therefore, WIRED Ministries will require that ALL participating churches attend one of the three luncheons/suppers that we will schedule in April and May to go over everything associated with WIRED 2020. This will ensure that every church and student leader will be fully informed about what will be going on at WIRED 2020, which will make it easier for them to inform the students and adult chaperones of this information before WIRED week ever starts. These dates have not been set yet but will be spaced out over a six-week period and will include a variety of lunches and suppers to make it convenient for everyone to attend at least one.
- NO CHAPERONES KIDS ON SITES – We are constantly being asked about whether or not chaperones kids can go with them to site, and there has been some occasions in the past where we allowed this to happen if the adult was on a children’s site. However, after several situations last year where the chaperones children were either hurt or were disruptive to the group because of behavioral issues, WIRED Ministries will no longer allow adult chaperones to bring their young children with them to ANY of our ministry sites regardless of the situation. As you can imagine, the liability exposure WIRED Ministries would have if anything happened to a young child not associated with WIRED week would be extremely detrimental to the long-term viability of our ministry.
- TRANSPORTATION LIST REQUIREMENTS CHANGE – We have always required each church to provide us a list of the types of transportation they are bringing to WIRED, who will be driving them, and how many people each mode of transportation will hold by the middle of May. However, we have consistently run into churches changing their transportation after Ministry Track Teams have been made, which requires for us to go back and completely re-work the ministry teams. In 2020 and going forward, WIRED Ministries will require that each church ensure that their transportation list doesn’t change after the May 15th If there is an emergency or complications with a lease agreement, it is the church's responsibility to replace any vehicle with the same type of vehicle on their transportation list, with the same driver, and with the same number of seats.
- CHURCH PLACEMENT ON TEAMS – WIRED Ministries will no longer place churches that DO NOT meet our 5:1 student to chaperone ratio requirements on ministry teams until they are in compliance. WIRED Ministries relies heavily on our churches to provide us with quality chaperones to assist on our 80+ ministry teams, and it adversely affects our ministry and the safety of every student attending WIRED week when a church doesn’t comply with our requirements. To eliminate this situation, WIRED Ministries will not place ANY of a church’s WIRED participants on teams until they comply. We consider securing adult chaperones as one of the basic steps in registering for WIRED and any church that participates should have that requirement taken care of before they register. If for some reason a church refuses to comply, they will not be allowed to participate in WIRED 2020 and will NOT receive a refund under any circumstances.